Augmented and Virtual Reality Testing
BEST PRACTICES IN QA & TESTING FOR AR, VR, AND MR
WHAT IS AUGMENTED REAITY (AR), VIRTUAL REALITY(VR) AND MIXED REALITY® (MR)?
Mixed reality (MR), virtual reality (AR), and mixed reality(VR) are disruptive technologies that will have a profound impact on our daily lives. Research firm IDC says that VR is being used by more companies to improve training, collaboration, sales, and many other uses. AR applications are growing faster than Virtual Reality, according to the research firm. A wide range of companies will be leveraging next-generation software and hardware to transform existing business processes. This will allow them to bring new capabilities to workers who do not require any technology. Mixed Reality allows users to interact with objects and place them in the real-world.
These technologies will explode exponentially with 5G technology just around the corner.
The global spending on AR, VR, and MR is expected to rise significantly from the $16.8 million forecasted for 2019. The Worldwide Semiannual Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality Spending Guide by IDC shows that the compound annual growth rate (CAGR), for AR/VR/MR spending over five years, will be 78.3%.
WHY QUALITY ASSURANCES AND TESTING ARE IMPORTANT TO AR, VR, AND MR PRODUCTS
Every day, media and technology companies are creating new immersive experiences. With these experiences comes new rules that ensure quality, efficiency, effectiveness, and safety. Firms that want to provide business and consumer products, content, and services in this industry require innovative approaches to manual or automated testing.
QA has traditionally been considered the last stage of development. It focuses on a series test scripts that evaluate product quality based on functionality, performance reliability, compatibility and security. AR, VR, and MR bring a new quality paradigm to the table that cannot be programmed: Immersiveness. It is essential that AR, VR, and MR offer an immersive experience for end-users, as they blend the virtual and physical worlds in novel ways.
Because VR is designed to immerse users in the experience, it is essential to test every bug thoroughly to ensure that no bugs are introduced to the user's experience. AR apps can add virtual objects or overlays to the real world. Any bugs in this scenario could negatively impact the product's performance and the user experience. MR places the user in both the real and virtual worlds. Any bugs that are not discovered will cause a false encounter. VR products can cause serious health problems due to their immersive nature. Headaches, motion sickness, seizures and eye strain are some of the most common symptoms. These should all be addressed during testing. Although full immersion is desirable, it is important to minimize any discomfort and reduce the liability of the company that is creating the product.
Yelowmobi Quality Assurance Expertise at Work: Creating a seamless VR Experience.
One of the most prominent social media companies wanted to offer a seamless VR experience to its users of its VR headsets. Yelowmobi will work with the company to test full-stack functionality and reliability of the VR headsets as well as the associated ecosystem of apps, peripherals, and experiences. This will ensure that users are able to set up their devices and install the required software without difficulty and optimize their VR experience.
PREPAREMENT IS THE FIRST STEP TO VALIDATE AR, VR, AND MR PRODUCTS
Effective testing requires that you identify as many possible scenarios or perspectives as possible. While most companies will only focus on the obvious, which is associated with functionality, there are many other factors to be aware of.
Before testing can begin, QA engineers need to review the product's requirements and create a list of real-world examples. This will allow you to understand all possible scenarios for user engagement, and gives you a complete view of the product.
Preparation for VRQA usually involves environmental setup. This means that a play area must be created and all obstacles removed in order to create a clear path. AR uses a similar setup to VR, but existing objects (e.g. table, chair, etc.) To ensure that they are identified during use, they must be detected and tagged. MR will allow you to augment a real-world scene like AR but add an interactive layer. AR does not capture this layer. Holograms that overlay physical objects can be captured, for example. In the field of vision for your MR device setup, you will need to consider the couch, the side table, and the kitchen counter.
The measurement of performance in mixed reality is usually done by calibrating sensors and IMUs and checking a series collective points for frame rates and machine vision.
1. Manual testing: This involves emulating the real-world setting, setting up play space and using the entire 360-degree scope. While measuring performance variables and gameplay, this is also done. It also includes testing camera tracking and reducing latency.
2. Automated Testing: This involves setting up an environment controlled and knowing the goals and the outcomes. The environment can be set up to provide space, soundproofing and power. Only then can tools be designed for repeatable controls or constant testing.
Digital experiences are increasingly embedded in virtual worlds and objects. Therefore, it is important to focus on the human aspect of the design, development and testing process. To create immersive digital experiences, it is important to consider the feelings and goals of the user. Unlike traditional QA which relies on test data, boundaries and equivalence partitioning and scripts, AR VR testing will use feelings and sensations to provide final feedback to designers and developers.
Multiple lenses and multiple considerations will help you see issues that may not have been apparent otherwise. You can avoid unnecessary testing and resolution cycles, which will improve the quality of your AR/VR product.
CHALLENGES and COMMON MISPERCEPTIONS ABOUT QA, AR, VR AND MR TESTING
There are many challenges and common misconceptions regarding QA, AR, VR, and MR testing.
- AR, VR, and MR developers have the ability to test their software and hardware.
This is true. However, working with a QA solution provider who has expertise in AR, VR, and MR can increase quality and business value.
- Developers know everything they don't.
AR, VR, and MR developers often think they are experts on their projects. An external QA team can provide new perspectives and help analyze and test aspects of the project that were not considered by the internal team.
- For AR, VR, and MR, the same approach can be used to QA consumer products or enterprise products.
Understanding and meeting consumer expectations is key to QA. This will affect how testing is done. The user environment and the conditions in which they operate will impact the type and method of testing, and the purpose of the software. For example, enterprises are more likely to have higher expectations in terms of security.
- Functional Testing can produce a great product.
AR, VR, and MR require that the user experience be tightly integrated with the capabilities of the device. Testing for AR, VR, and MR technologies requires that the entire stack of software, hardware, and firmware be tested. Test plans can cover functions like battery life, power consumption, firmware and Bluetooth, as well as security and overheating.
- A company can reduce its costs by cutting its QA program.
Reduced QA testing in areas that are experiencing high growth and innovation like AR, VR, and MR will almost certainly lead to a higher company cost due to reduced product performance. With social media, online reviews, and rating sites like G2.com, it is more important than ever to maintain a brand's credibility, and increase market share.
THE Yelowmobi Approach
Yelowmobi's testing services include the entire spectrum of a head mounted display (HMD) rather than repeating test cases. System-level testing is done using a fully automated hardware lab. This includes robotic automation of 6DOF (6 degrees freedom) testing to sensors and IMU calibrations to complete regression tests against industry standards and competitive benchmarking. We do more than simply test the headset.
* Our testers and advisors are experts in VR, AR, and MR platforms and can help you create the best test strategy. They are able to help you develop innovative solutions to test hardware and systems, content, platform integration, device compatibility, and other aspects. Our clients have benefited from our innovative approach to automation testing. We also work with clients to identify and tag reference data, which can be used for both human gestures and inanimate objects.
* Yelowmobi views each project as a consulting engagement, working with clients to provide significant value and maximize results.
* We provide customized quality assurance programs that include a range of services beyond "staff augmentation".
* Yelowmobi invests heavily in its team members. We offer highly-trained professionals with specific expertise who operate with company-level commitment. Management overhead is a significant expense that we spend on to ensure the best-qualified staff are trained and reviewed, and then support them in their continued career growth. Employee satisfaction and company loyalty are enhanced by the retention of institutional knowledge. Career investment is made through successive temporary projects.
* We are motivated by initiatives and recognize how even a temporary project fits in the larger context of a larger organizational strategy. Yelowmobi is able to identify the most qualified team members who understand core technology and can help determine which roles are being played. By partnering with clients to build a relationship around an initiative, we can contribute meaningfully to the organization while adding real business value.
* Yelowmobi provides turnkey offshore and onshore services through our Q Testlab. This lab uses a proven delivery model to outsource QA and testing services with a low overall ROI. The lab's services can be used for many different technologies and applications. Each project is customized to meet client needs. We can recreate the onsite environment using elements such as electricity, networking, and security. This saves time and money.
* Yelowmobi is also experienced in setting up remote testing areas to replicate the environments found in offices and homes. A home automation device's performance may be measured at a certain height (e.g., a kitchen counter) and at a specified distance from furniture like a couch. Yelowmobi offers technical skills, project management, communication, productivity, and other services for testing and QA.
* The Vets for Test program, which we recently created, draws on the focus and discipline of U.S. military veterans to offer the best quality QA services for the tech industry. Yelowmobi's Q TestLab service offers mentoring and training for military veterans.
AR, VR, MR and other disruptive technologies have an impact on many areas of business and personal life. New immersive experiences have created new rules to ensure quality, efficiency, effectiveness. Firms that want to provide business and consumer products, content, and services in this industry need to find innovative ways to automate manual and test processes.
Yelowmobi's approach is based on extensive experience in AR, VR, and MR. This gives us the unique advantage of being able identify potential issues and alternative scenarios that might be possible for our clients. We are the preferred partner for quality assurance and testing, having shipped many of the most popular headsets worldwide, including those developed by industry experts.
In case of any query or suggestion about AR & VR Testing, please contact us: [email protected]